Friday, February 19

Melon's Not Not Dead

That's not a typo I meant to put the double negative...

I woke up this afternoon morning I reached for my ipod and scanned thru tweets to find



(so it didn't look exactly like this but you get the gist)


I'm sure everyone had heard the news by now.
Melon Kinenbi, who just celebrated their decade long tenure, has decided to disband after 10 years of awesomeness. They have come a long way and have accomplished so much from releasing a collaboration album to being the longest reining H!P group to go without a member change.

I am quite sad because I always liked Melon & thought they deserved much more attention & fans than they had while under H!P. That's why I was pleased that they after graduating they stayed active (unlike the majority of the elder club). They could now blossom not under the control of tsunku and his umm reatardedness. They were the 'rock' group under hp but could only take their 'rockness' so far being under hp. Doing 5 awesome collaborations and releasing their new album, ironically titled MELON'S NOT DEAD, no one could have suspected the inevitable. Which takes us to the title of their new album. There is only one thing I have to say about: WTF WHO CAME UP WITH THE TITLE I'M GOING TO PUNCH THEM. Yeah...expect more blog titles to surface refering to their album because it's just too freaking ironic to not use.

I was going to rank their 5 colab singles at some point so I guess now is as appropriate as it's gunna get. So, without further ado, my ranking of Melon's 5 colab singles from least to most favorite.

5. Sweet Summer Suicide Story



This PV was just released the other day and I must say after watching it I like the song more. Out of all the song this one is the only one I dislike mostly because the music/instrumental seems a bit jumbled. I can't hate it too much tho since I know nothing about music but the pv has probably bumped it up from ☆☆ to ☆☆☆
Ranking numbers 2-4 is where it gets hard difficult.

4. Seishun on the Road



This is a really nice calming song that I listen to often. To me it's watered down version of Melon when compared to the other 4 singles. I prefer my Melon to be more hardcore and energetic.

3. Melon Tea



It's quite catchy and the pv is a good change from the live performances. It's got a good melon feeling, and not just because of the title, it has that perfect balance of rock and pop you expect from Melon.

2. Don't Say Goodbye



This was the first single they released since graduating and I really liked it. It had that melon feeling that everyone remembered but still managed to have the essence of a new indie group. While it may not be the most energetic song it's still refreshing.

1. Pinch ha Chance Bakani Naro Uze



C-H-A-N-C-E DAKEDA CHANCE! This song easily slides into the #1 spot. It has the heavy drums and bass you expect from rock but has very happy energetic lyrics. I may not know they English translation of the lyrics, but it is sung and preformed with such energy spirit. I love this song and while I haven't listened to every melon single, this is by far my favorite ever.

For more on the story (heh I fell like news reporter)
Official UFI Announcement
Official H!P Announcment
Hello!Online
Musume-Central
Hello!Sayunii
Hello!Blog
HellProject

No comments:

Post a Comment